Wednesday, February 17, 2010

It's saddening what I don't know.

My office cohort, Sheila, was working on a customer file today and had an odd word come up.
Saddening
She asked me, "Is that really a word"? I said, "I don't know. Maybe go on line to the dictionary and look it up".
She did and we were both surprised to find out that it is a real word.
Who knew? Neither one of us that's for sure.
So we both learned a new word today. Mind you the chances of either one of us using it ever again are slight, but never say never. I aim to put it in my Scrabble stash for future use.

Main Entry: sad·den
Pronunciation: \ˈsa-dən\
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): sad·dened; sad·den·ing \ˈsad-niŋ, ˈsa-dən-iŋ\
Date: 1628
transitive verb : to make sadintransitive verb : to become sad

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a word or two if you wish to.